Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I went straight to the headquarters. I need answers.

Oddly enough, the door opened easily. It was unlocked. It led to a reception area--a small office with a desk and phone, and a mural of the Five Petals symbol on the back wall. The room was fairly nondescript, with the exception of a line of five chairs against the wall and a door by the desk.

I remember working in that room when I was younger. Sometimes, they would let me take calls, but I mostly did volunteer work around the office, helping organize folders and the like. They never let me past the door, though, and I think I'm starting to understand why. I want so badly for this to be a big misunderstanding, but the farther things go, the clearer they get. I mustered up my courage, and went to the door, but nothing I did could get it open. Resigned, I went to look around the office, but I didn't find much. An appointment book with, of course, an appointment with the mayor.

I was about to leave when the phone rang. That's weird, as all the other phones seemed to be down. I wasn't going to answer at first, but it was persistent. I wish I could have recorded the conversation, but it went something like this:

ME: Hello?
?: Give it up, little flower. It's time for you to mind your own business and go home.
ME: Who are you?!
?: If you stay, you accept the consequences of your actions. I think you'll find that your car is more than able to move now.

She hung up. Something about her voice seemed familiar. Then, I realised that it was the same person who left the message I found on the phone of Dot's house. She had that same crazed, breathless tone to her voice as before. I picked up the phone again, but it was dead.

I panicked then, and I ran out of the building. Someone's following me, watching me. It's probably the girl on the phone.

I was set to leave. I started walking out the door just as a fierce snowstorm kicked up. This couldn't have been planned better--in the favor of whoever called, of course. Now I have to stay and, apparently, accept the consequences that come from staying. The snowstorm was coming too quickly and was far too strong for me to drive anywhere in it. Even walking, I had a hard time seeing beyond my nose.

Now, I'm warming up in the closest house I could find. It's late and the storm isn't showing any signs of relenting, so I'm going to sit here and try to get some sleep.