Wednesday, April 27, 2011

I fell asleep on the couch last night. It didn't happen right away, though; I was having some trouble sleeping and couldn't stop thinking about that exchange on the phone. I decided to get up and look around the house a bit, at least until I felt tired. I got up and did some distracted browsing.

Upstairs, in the master bedroom, I found a cell phone and a charger. I couldn't believe my luck! The cell phone's battery seemed dead, but I plugged it in to let it charge. Not long after that, I tried sleeping again and finally succeeded.

I awoke at about 8, and the storm was finally over. The sun was bright and warm, like late April should be, and the snow was already starting to melt. I stepped outside, though, and noticed that despite the rapidly melting snow, there were some fresh footprints leading away from the house. I felt sick but I couldn't withhold my curiousity. I followed the footprints.

Have you ever seen a sight so surreal that even though you knew what it was, your mind denied it was real? That happened to me. The footprints stopped a good ten metres or so away, where a pool of blood-soaked snow was melting steadily. In the middle of this pool lay a body. At first I stared, not fully believing the horror before me to be real. But when I saw the words "GO AWAY" carved into his chest...

I don't know who he was, but he was wearing flannel and the shirt was ripped open to reveal the message the killer left me. Go away. They want me gone. Suits me.

Walking away from the scene, trying to keep my stomach in check, I noticed something on the ground. It was small and metallic.

A key. A key that read "DRINK ME".

It's too late to turn back now. Time to face the consequences.